Friday, September 17, 2010

My life as a reality show

Apparently, TLC is introducing a reality show about people with problematic eating habits, called "Freaky Eaters."

I'm actually quite curious about the science behind food preferences.  Is there something different about my brain chemistry, or my taste buds, that makes the vegetables that taste good to other people taste bad to me?  My sister doesn't like vegetables, either- could it be hereditary?  Or could it be related to our upbringing, and the way mom used to make us finish our food even when we found it unpalatable?  Is there any treatment or technique that's proven to be effective in broadening a person's palate?

Somehow, though, I have a feeling that, despite being on "the learning channel,"  this show isn't going to explore these interesting questions.  I have a feeling that it's going to be a freak show- everyone, come and stare at the man who will only eat hamburgers!  Isn't he strange?  Aren't you glad you aren't him?

No comments:

Post a Comment