Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm in the majority.

In today's news, I learned that, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vegetable-avoiders are in the majority in the United States.  Or, at least, that less than a third of Americans typically eat more than 2 fruits or more than 3 vegetables in a day.

That's definitely me.  I don't.  I sometimes put a little fruit in my lunch box, but breakfast and dinner are usually free of fruits and vegetables.

So why do Americans eat so few fruits and vegetables?

Maybe it's for the same reason I don't- because they don't taste good, and it takes an effort to make yourself eat them, when just eating food that tastes good is so much easier.  Or maybe it's because when you have been eating a lot of processed food, natural food tastes unpleasantly weird- have you noticed that?

It works the other way, too- I gave up processed food for Lent one year, and on my first trip to McDonald's after the season was over, I was surprised at how I could taste the chemistry in my McNuggets in a way I never had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment